Roles: RDS instance, Tungsten Replicator, destination database instance(dest_db)
* no ssh access to RDS instance is provided yet?
* install Tungsten Replicator on a certain host
The replicator can be installed either within a standard (non-RDS) Amazon EC2 instance
on another host which can write to the dest_db
* read bin_log from RDS, transfer format and write to dest_db
- "Service Alpha" extracts the binary log information directly from RDS instance and loads into THL.
-- ("Service Alpha" is a utility running on Tungsten Replicator)
-- (THL: Transaction History Log )
- Tungsten Replicator then writes the information from the THL and writes the data to the target database.
dest_db data format prerequisites : [take mysql for example]
* Table format should be updated to UTF8 by updating the MySQL configuration (/etc/mysql/my.cnf):
* To prevent timezone configuration storing zone adjusted values,
fix the timezone configuration to use UTC within the configuration file (my.cnf):
RDS instance config
to change RDS config by RDS client
//=== download and install Tungsten
* Download the latest version of Tungsten Replicator.
Expand the release:
shell> tar zxf tungsten-replicator-3.0.1-64
Change to the staging directory:
shell> cd tungsten-replicator-3.0.1-64
Run tpm to install the replicator:
[shd create repli-user first]
shell> ./tools/tpm install alpha \
Tungsten Replicator --> Continuent-Tungsten
THL: Transaction History Log
"... stores transactional data from different data servers in a universal format
that is then used to exchange and transfer the information between replicator instances.
Because the THL is stored and 'independently' managed from the data servers that it reads and writes,
the data can be moved, exchanged, and transmuted during processing.